Tuesday, December 3rd, The Center joins thousands of other nonprofit organizations worldwide to celebrate #GivingTuesday! This is a great opportunity to start your holiday season on a high note by donating to charities that are important to you.
Donations made to The Center on #GivingTuesday make it possible for us to provide resources that make an immediate impact on LGBT community centers across the nation. By supporting the growth of LGBT community and addressing the challenges they face, by helping them to improve their organizational and service delivery capacity and increase their access to public resources, The Center helps to insure that we all can thrive and succeed!
2013 Center Highlights
- The Center hosted a reception for all pro LGBT candidates who were elected in 2012. The reception was attended by most of the invited officials along with a large number of movers and shakers in the community, many of whom had never been to Center before.
- In March they hosted a Town Hall meeting to address issues raised during the oral arguments made before the US Supreme Court on DOMA and Prop 8. This was the catalyst that created an alliance to rally the community in anticipation of victory in the court.
- The Center successfully presented the first Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast that was attended by many local leaders in Central Florida. Guest speakers were Stuart Milk and Congressman Alan Grayson.
- An alliance that consisted of The Center, MBA/COWP, HRC, Equality Florida, ACLU planned and presented the most talked about rally in the history of Orlando – The Marriage Equality Rally attended by over 5,000 people the day after the US Supreme Court victories.
- In a joint effort with MBA/COWP, they presented a Town Hall meeting where a panel of experts addressed how the changes brought about by the Supreme Court would affect couples in Florida.
- Successfully presented Bingo at The Center, under the guidance of Ben Johansen and Tim Vargas.
- For the first time in three years, The Center was represented at the Centerlink Annual Conference by Michael Vacirca and myself.
- This year in COWP, The Center acted as ambassadors on behalf of COWP, along with presenting a float entry in the Pride parade for the first time in at least five years.
- The Center hosted another successful Black and White Gala under the guidance of Russell Walker.
- After a year of discussion, The Center is applying to operate a senior’s program under SAGE The Center has been appointed to the Orange County Domestic Violence Task Force.
- Appointed a new director of HIV program and an assistant director.
- The Center was honored by the Wedding Alliance for the work we have done in support of marriage equality.
- The Center was presented with the MBA’s Out and Proud Award.
- For the third year in a row, The Center won the Watermark Wave Award as most effective LGBT organization.
Click here to support this valuable organization.
Gay Days Orlando, the first weekend in June each year, attracts 160,000+ from around the world to the central Florida area, and the event generates over $600 million in economic benefits. Gay Days Las Vegas will always start the day after Labor Day each year, and run through the following Monday.
Gay Day Orlando will be held June 2-8, 2014.
"Eat, Drink & Be Merry"
Orlando Gay Chorus
Join the Orlando Gay Chorus at The Plaza LIVE, 425 North Bumby Avenue, Orlando, for a celebration of Faith, Fun and Festivity!
OGC will sing and dance to traditional favorites, as well as new tunes that have captured the festive heart of the holidays. Don't miss the laughter and smiles as we share this most wonderful time of the year!
Performances will be held Saturday, December 14 at 7:30pm and Sunday, December 15 at 4:30pm.
Don't forget to bring an new unwrapped toy and help support Toys For Tots! We are the longest running Toys For Tots campaign in the Central Florida area, celebrating our 23rd year with the United States Marine Corps Reserve toy campaign!
Click here for more information